BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 30, 2009

Power of words

I have been praying over which of the two writings I have to put up first. I believe that this is the one that I am suppose to share first, since that I believe this is part of our "aroma". I want to help our "aroma" to this world to be as Christ like a possible. I wrote this to for a work place environment, but someone mentioned the power that it could have with a spouse. So thank you for that insight.

A few years ago, I was having a real hard time with comments that co-workers would make that would just slice right to the core of who I believed that I was. I truly cared for my co-workers, and tried to work in a way that would be pleasing, not just to God, but also my co-workers. I often felt that at any given moment they ganged up just to make comments that would hurt me. I am not a person who naturally has quick comebacks ready, well maybe a curse word or two, but... So there I would be wishing that I could come up with some cutting remark so that they would know that I have had enough of what they were saying, and instead I would walk out of the room frustrated that I had no words.
Turning the other cheek is very hard when it feels like it is day after day. Sometime people know that they are good at cutting people to the core. I had talked to these women about God and I believe that they knew where I stood in my faith. So I felt like I was an easy target. One night I had an idea for the six or so women that I worked with in a very small office. Although I knew they would never agree to something like this, because it really shows us for who we really are.
So here is the idea, if you think that you might even have a small problem with a mouth that seems to have a mind of its own.
Take a notebook with you everywhere you go. Every time you feel like/say something that might be hurtful, write it down. At the end of the week, pull out the notebook and take a look at all the comments in it. Now that you are no longer in the situation, do these comments sound cruel? Would you take them back if you could?
I believe that God wants us to control the part of our thought process that has the quick comebacks.
I don't have the problem of telling people what I am thinking, but I do have to confess that I am more aware of the bad things that I think about people.
How can I love these people if I am harboring anger?

Proverbs 18:21 (NIV) "The tongue has the power of life and death and those who love it with eat its fruit."

God wants us to love our neighbor as ourselves. That means controlling not only our tongue, but also our thoughts. It is easy to say mean things and a lot harder to say I am sorry. Forgiveness is hard too, especially if it was a deep cutting hurt.

0 comments: